This has been a horribly rough week. Last Monday I found my cat bleeding from the stomach. After taking him to the emergency vest and having him undergo surgery, he died on Wednesday October 10th in the early morning. It’s been emotionally tolling. And it’s even harder because while grieving, I till have to go to school and work. I’ve really just been not having the best of semesters, with the ankle sprain and now my kitty . . . Law school on top of my personal life is proving to be torturous.
When I get stressed, I bake. I always have. So to cope with the loss of my little cat I made zucchini bread.
It was a nice way to keep me distracted, to keep me from crying, and it’s made some good breakfasts.
Mocha Zucchini Bread
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp cocoa
1 packet Starbucks’s mocha Via
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1. Heat oven to 350. Grease a 9×5 inch baking dish. Set aside.
2. Place the grating attachment into your food processor. Grate the zucchini. Place the grated zucchini between two paper towels and squeeze out the excess water.
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, cocoa, mocha Via, salt, and baking soda. Beat until combined.
4. By hand, stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. Then add in the flour until moistened. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared dish. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.