As I’ve been home for the holidays, spending more time with my mom and dad since I have since college, I’ve been helping my mom a lot around the kitchen. It’s been nice to cook for more than just two people. My childhood friend was also staying with us, so there was my mom, my dad, my brother, my friend, and myself to cook for over the last week. We had big breakfasts almost everyday and nice dinners most nights. It was nice to be home to welcome 2013 with my family.
This wasn’t our last meal of 2012 though. My last meal of 2012 was a bowl of ramen noodles from a restaurant in Japantown. This risotto was from earlier in the week. We had this risotto, a salad, and a beef shank stuffed with apples and celery.
I love the sweet potato in the risotto so much. It was a great combination.
Sweet Potato Risotto
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 sweet potato, cooked and cubed
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
3 1/2 cups water
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until soft – about 5 minutes.
2. Add the sweet potatoes and garlic and cook for an additional minute.
3. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook. Stir frequently until the liquid is absorbed.
4. Add 3/4 cup water at a time. Stir and cook until absorbed. Add another 3/4 cup water and cook until absorbed. Continue until all the water has been used and the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.