As the semester comes to an end I’m looking forward to more days of actually being able to make involved meals instead of quick stuff for the nights when I’m in class past 8 p.m. But as for now, I’m still making my weekly slow cooker meal to make into several meals. Next semester I have three classes instead of two classes in the evening, so that’s going to be even worse.
But then I’ll be done with law school.
This chicken was really good. When I was grocery shopping I found this Hawaiian flavored teriyaki marinade. I decided it would be the perfect accompaniment to my slow cooker meal for the week.
The second night of chicken was made into pita mini pizzas. Two favorite different and delicious dishes!
DAY 1: Crock Pot Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken
4 boneless chicken breasts, defrosted
1 bottle of Hawaiian teriyaki marinade
20 oz can crushed pineapple
1. Place your chicken into the crock pot and cover with the teriyaki. Pour the pineapple on top. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3.
2. Once the chicken is done, shred. Serve over rice.
DAY 2: Hawaiian Chicken Pita Mini Pizzas
leftover crock pot Hawaiian teriyaki chicken
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1 tomato, sliced
1/4 cup pizza sauce
1. Smear 1/2 the pizza sauce on each pita. Cover with shredded cheese. Then divide the chicken and tomatoes evenly between the pitas and layer on top of the cheese.
2. Place the pitas on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
* Sharing with Foodie Friday & Foodie Friday
One of my resolutions for the new year is to lose 30 pounds. To lose that weight I have to make healthy decisions in terms of the food I put in my mouth. The meal I had tonight was definitely a healthy choice. It only took about a half hour to make too, so not only was it healthy, but it was also easy! The best of both worlds, yeah?
I really enjoyed the taste of these little squash pizzas. They were also really easy to eat and could be made for lunch or even a snack.
Butternut Squash Pizza
1 butternut squash
1 chicken sausage
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup kale, chopped
4 cherry tomatoes, sliced
Olive oil, salt, and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. Slice the neck off of the squash. Set the body aside. Slice the neck of the squash into 1/4-inch pieces (mine made 11 slices.)
3. Place the squash on a baking sheet. Brush a small amount of olive oil on both sides of each squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the squash from the oven and flip each piece over. Cover each squash with some sausage, cheese, kale, and tomatoes, splitting the ingredients evenly above your squash pieces. Bake for 15 more minutes.
* serves 2
* about 333 calories per serving
* this post is being shared with Bake with Bizzy at Bizzy Bakes
I meal plan for 6 out of the 7 days a week. This means that on Sunday rather than buying ingredients to make a meal, I use whatever is leftover in the house to make my meals. This reduces how much I end up throwing away due to things going bad.
Last weekend I went through the fridge and noticed among other stuff:
1. An excess of cherry tomatoes
2. A Boboli pizza crust
3. Mozzarella cheese
4. Fresh basil leaves
I used the website supercook to show me recipes I had the ingredients for and I found this pizza margherita recipe.
I decided to use my premade crust and my cherry tomatoes to make this recipe. It came out so delicious. I’ve never made a pizza without putting sauce on it before and I have to say, it didn’t need it a bit!
You could of course make your own crust. It doesn’t take a whole lot more effort.
1 Boboli pizza crust
20-30 cherry tomatoes, cut into small slices
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
1. Heat oven to 475.
2. Arrange the tomatoes on the top of your pizza crust, overlapping them slightly. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake the pizza for 10 minutes. Remove and top with cheese and basil. Return to oven for 5-10 more minutes, until as crisp as desired.
* one pizza serves 4
* roughly 387 calories per serving