I make a weekly meal plan that I try to stick to. Sometimes I don’t make something off of the plan because I go out to eat instead. Or other times I’ll have leftovers that I feel guilty not eating. There are some rare times however, where I do end up cooking but changing the recipe around. I’m usually such a follower of recipes. I think most of it is I just am not quite 100% confident in the kitchen. I’d rather cook something that I know at least one person tasted good, than totally whip something up from scratch on my own that could possibly taste horrible.
This recipe was for a chicken tetrazzini. I had planned to make chicken tetrazzini. However, the night before I made those Swedish meatballs I posted yesterday and I was left with a lot of leftover, thawed out ground beef and ground pork. Rather than getting more meat out of the freezer to thaw, I decided to use what was in the refrigerator. I opted for the beef in this dish instead of the pork (though tomorrow you will see what I ended up doing with the extra pork). Because of the change in meats, I did make a few minor changes in the recipe. But I did follow the recipe almost exactly besides changing the protein.
It was really creamy, really yummy, and I would make this dish (using the beef) again.
But really, you could probably use any protein ever and it would be delicious.
1 lb spaghetti, broken into thirds
1 tbsp olive oil
24 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Brummel&Brown
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups beef broth
2 cups half and half
1/4 cup white wine
12 oz ground beef, cooked
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350. Boil water in a pot over high heat and cook the noodles according to the directions on the package.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the mushrooms until they release their liquid.
3. Melt the Brummel&Brown in a small skillet. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper and cook for a minute until smooth and bubbly. Stir in beef broth and half and half until just boiling. Let boil for 1 minute, stirring.
4. In a casserole dish combine the white wine, spaghetti, ground beef, and mushrooms with the butter mixture.
5. Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
* serves 8
* 626 calories per serving