This fish recipe was originally intended to be made with salmon. Salmon however is not my favorite of fishes. I find the flavor too powerful for my palette. I do like fish though, but I prefer the white fishes. Tilapia is one such fish that suits what I like in terms of fish. This recipe was shared with me by emilytgs24 at the recipe swap I participate in on myfitnesspal.
It was easy. I made it on a Monday night, my busiest day of the week where I’m running between class, work, and then class again. I barely have time to eat on Mondays, but this dish not only was done before I needed to run out the door, it also tasted like more time was spent on it than actually was.
With the dish I served a warm sweet potato salad. Sweet potato is my absolute favorite food (along with spinach). The fish and the sweet potato paired together perfectly and made a great dinner.
4 tilapia fillets
8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
4 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Cut the fillets in half, lengthwise.
3. Mix the mustard and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Take 2 sheets of phyllo dough and put one on top of the other. Place both the halves from one fillet on the dough, close to one edge. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper. Place 1/4 of the mustard mixture on the fish and then roll in the phyllo dough, making sure all the corners are tucked in.
5. Place on a cookie sheet and spray the phyllo with Pam. Bake for 20 minutes.
* serves 4
* 182 calories per serving
Warm Sweet Potato Salad
1 1/2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp + 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 slice bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1. Place the sweet potato and russet potato in a pot. Fill the pot with water until the potatoes are all covered. Put over high heat and boil for 20 minutes. Cook until they are tender. Drain the potatoes.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, Balsamic, turmeric, green onion, bacon, and red onion. Stir the sweet potatoes and potatoes into this mixture, making sure to coat well.
* serves 3
* 190 calories per serving