Topic One: I need to get back on my 52 week around the world challenge. I obviously am not going to complete the challenge in 52 weeks (because like I said in the last post, school and work has gotten the best of me,) however I do still plan on cooking dishes from 52 countries, even if it means doubling up on weeks. But I’m not even going to pretend to try yet. I need to finish the semester out.
Topic Two: This Dish! I made this spaghetti meatball pie after participating in the Crazy Cooking Challenge‘s Spaghetti and Meatballs challenge. I was so in love with the idea of ButterYum’s Spaghetti and Meatball Pie that I added it to my recipe bookmarks. I consider this “little boy food.” “Little boy food” is food I make that I know Matt will go crazy over. It’s always pretty simple flavors, but it comprises those hearty meals from childhood. Granted, Matt nor I had ever actually had Spaghetti Meatball Pie in our childhoods – but this take on the classic spaghetti and meatballs was not only fun, it was yummy.
And easy, don’t forget that.
Spaghetti Meatball Pie
1/2 lb spaghetti noodles
1 1/2 cup pasta sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup mushroom pieces
20 frozen meatballs, thawed and cut in half
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a springform pan with Pam.
2. In a skillet with a minimal amount of oil, cook the mushrooms until soft.
3. In a large bowl combine the eggs, spaghetti noodles, pasta sauce, and cheese. In another bowl combine together the meatballs and mushrooms.
4. Pour half the noodles into the springform pan. Top with the meatballs and mushrooms. Pour the other half of the spaghetti noodles on top.
5. Top with any extra cheese.
6. Cover in aluminum foil. Place the springform pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 55 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
7. Remove and let sit for 20 minutes before serving.
* serves 8
* 318 calories per serving
* Shared with Presto Pasta