For Christmas this last year my mom (or Santa?) gave me a set of red ramekins. I have a thing for red kitchen items, so this was the perfect present. However, 5 months have passed and my cute red ramekins were still sitting in their packaging untouched. I decided this morning was the morning to put these guys to work.
I found this recipe for Dutch Babies and decided it would make the perfect breakfast this morning. I was no misled in the slightest. I literally burst out giggling when I pulled them out of the oven because they looked so comical, puffed up so high.
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat your oven to 475.
2. To make the batter, in a food processor combine the flour, milk, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and salt. Pulse until well combined.
3. In each ramekin spread 1 tsp of the vegetable oil with a pastry brush.
4. Divide the batter before the 4 ramekins. Place on a baking sheet.
5. Bake the dutch babies for about 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown and puff up.
6. You can top with lemon juice and powdered sugar.
* makes 4
* 243 calories per dutch baby
* shared with See Ya in the Gumbo