This month the Crazy Cooking Challenge revolves around fried chicken. I was initially going to make a traditional fried chicken in the deep fryer, but I probably don’t need the calories associated with the oil and crispy crispy breading. Instead I decided I’d make something standard, but maybe not something always associated with fried chicken. The requirements of this challenge were that the chicken be somehow fried.
I’ve actually never fried chicken parmesan before. I usually just bake it. But frying the chicken before putting in the oven definitely made it better. It made the breading be so much crispier and it also made the chicken really juicy.
I found this recipe at The Always Learning Housewiff. She didn’t make any commentary on the dish, but I’ll tell you it’s great! When I was little chicken parmesan was one of my favorite dishes and is still something my mom frequently makes for me when I go home to visit. I think this is the perfect recipe and seems similar to what my mom used to make.
This may not be the traditional fried chicken imagined, but just writing this post is making me wish I had leftovers!
Cheesy Chicken Parmesan
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 8 oz total)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
4 tbsp Parmesan, divided
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp milk
1/4 cup flour
1-2 tbsp of olive oil, for frying
1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1. Rinse off the chicken breasts and pat dry. With a mallet tenderize the breasts and pound until about 1/2 inch thick.
2. On a plate spread the flour. In a shallow bowl combine the bread crumbs, 2 tbsp Parmesan, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. In one more shallow bowl combine the milk and egg.
3. Arrange an assembly line in this order: chicken, flour, eggs, bread crumbs. Working one piece of chicken at a time, dredge both sides with flour and knock off the excess. Dip in the egg mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs. Set on a clean plate.
4. Set a large skillet over medium-high and pour in the oil. Once hot fry each piece of chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
5. Heat oven to 375. In a baking dish pour one cup of pasta sauce. Place the chicken in the dish and cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheesy is melted and the sauce is bubbly.
* serves 2
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…