One thing I’m trying to do with my slow cooker meals is make two meals out of one. I don’t mean by that to eat the same meal two days in a row – I mean to make something different with the slow cooked recipe the second night. The last slow cooker meal I made didn’t make it to my blog because I forgot to take a picture – but it was lentil chili. The first night I ate it just as is. The second night I ate it as chili fries. I don’t like eating the same meal multiple nights in the row. It’s one of my quirks. But this a way where I can make use of a big meal over two days.
This is how my Mondays work:
– I wake up at 6 and sit on the couch for a little bit.
– I eat some breakfast.
– I prepare dinner in the crockpot.
– Around 10 a.m. I turn on the crockpot and I go to my Public International Law class until noon.
– I eat lunch in the Student Center.
– I go to back-to-back classes from 1:30-8:15.
– I come home and eat the slow cooked meal.
Tuesdays aren’t quite as crazy:
– I wake up at 6 and get ready for work.
– I work til noon.
– I eat lunch at the Student Center.
– I go to class from 1:30-3:30 and then 6:15-8:15.
– I reconfigure my crockpot meal.
From there my week is downhill and I can cook stuff not in the slow cooker.
Now, back to my curried beef meal. I should have taken a picture of it both nights, but I kind of was hungry when I got home from class tonight so I just chowed it down.
Day 1: Curried Beef over Rice
Day 2: Curried Beef Tacos
Slow Cooked Curried Beef
2 tsp canola oil
2 lbs beef short ribs, trimmed
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
1/3 cup green onions
3 tbsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp red curry paste
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
DAY 1 EXTRA INGREDIENTS:
1 cup cooked rice
DAY 2 EXTRA INGREDIENTS:
4 flour tortillas
1/2 tomato, diced
2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp sour cream
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper. Add half the ribs to the pan, cooking 2 minutes on each side. Place the ribs in a slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining ribs.
2. Add the green onions, garlic, and ginger to the pan, sauteing 2 minutes. Stir in the water and curry paste, cooking for 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, sugar, and fish sauce. Add this mixture to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
3. Remove the ribs from the slow cooker. Shred rib meat with 2 forks. Discard bones.
4. DAY 1 INSTRUCTIONS: Serve beef over 1/2 cup of rice.
DAY 2 INSTRUCTIONS: Reheat curried beef in oven set at 350 for about 20 minutes. Take two small tortillas. Spread with sour cream. Place beef on top of the sour cream. Top with diced tomatoes and feta.
* makes 6 servings of the beef, (DAY 1 & DAY 2 both make 2 serving portions)
* DAY 1 CALORIES: 382 calories
* DAY 2 CALORIES: 480 calories
* Shared with Tuesdays at the Table, Tasteful Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Recipe Box, & Delicious Dishes