Christmas cookie baking has begun! For presents this year I’m giving people four varieties of spiral cookies.
Cookie Number One: Chai Spiced Spirals!
I’m not going to lie, I had already taken a bite out of the cookie in the photo. But.. It was so tempting. The cookie tasted wonderful. For being the fist of my spiral cookies for Christmas, it was a perfect success.
Chai Spiced Spiral Cookies
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 3 tbsp flour for later
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp molasses
sugar for decorating
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the 1 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and sugar. Beat together until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Slowly beat in the dried mix until you have a nonsticky dough. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and separate into two halves.
3. Return one half of the dough to the mixing bowl. Add the molasses and the 3 tbsp flour and beat until combined.
4. Cover and refrigerate both halves of the dough for a half hour.
5. Once chilled, roll each half of dough out separately to be about 1/4-inch thick with a floured rolling pin. Place the half of dough without molasses on top of the the other half of dough. Press together with a rolling pin.
6. Starting on the long side of the dough, roll the dough into a tight log. Roll the log into the sugar so that it coats the outside of the log. Wrap in wax paper and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
7. Remove from the refrigerator and cut the dough into even sized cookies. Your log should get you about 30 cookies. Place each cookie slice on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 8 minutes.
8. Let cool on the sheet. Once cool to touch remove from the baking sheet and place on wire racks until completely cool.
* makes about 30 cookies