I don’t usually cook chicken with bones in it. I’m such a boneless, skinless chicken breast type of gal. But my grocery store has recently had chicken thighs with bones and skin on it for a super cheap price. I decided to get a pack just because it’s cheap.
This chicken was easy and flavorful. I love coconut milk generally and I especially like it in savory dishes. This chicken is best served over a bed of rice.
Coconut Chicken with East African Spices
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
2 chicken thighs, with the skin pulled off
1/2 jalapeno, deveined, seeded, and minced
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1. In a deep pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook for 7 minutes, until browned. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 20 seconds. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and salt, and cook for 20 more seconds.
2. Add the tomatoes and chicken thigh. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk and jalapeno. Stir to mix. Bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Let the chicken sit for several minutes. If any fat rises to the top, spoon it off.
5. Serve in a bowl over rice and garnish with cilantro.