The next cookie on the agenda was a shortbread. My cookie cutter selection is small, so I made shortbread men. Gingerbread men is a thing. We all know of the traditional gingerbread man, that we decorate with frosting and candies – so why can’t shortbread men be a thing?
The shortbread men I made had rosemary in them and then were dipped in chocolate. My boyfriend wasn’t quite sure what to think about the rosemary in the cookie, because he loves rosemary on chicken. I thought it was a perfect addition. It added this element that wasn’t entirely expected, but also, entirely welcome.
Chocolate Dipped Rosemary Shortbread
1 cups flour
1/2 tbsp rosemary, minced
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, rosemary, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process together until well mixed.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the flour mixture. Beat until the dough starts to come together.
4. Remove from the bowl and place on a floured surface. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin to 1/4-inch thickness. Place between two sheets of plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Using a cookie cutter, cut cookies out of the dough. Place on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 20 more minutes.
6. Bake for 20-24 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
7. Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Don’t let it burn. Dip your cookies in the chocolate. Let chocolate set.
* makes 1 dozen cookies