Eek! The day is speeding by and I needed to get this dish made and posted! Food ‘n Flix is celebrating its 5th birthday this month and to celebrate, we could make a recipe based on ANY of the past movies hosted by the fun monthly challenge. I’ve participated in and hosted a ton of the Food ‘n Flix months in the past.
I decided to watch a movie I’d seen before, but one that I didn’t cook from for Food ‘n Flix because it was before i found out about this community. I watched Mystic Pizza!
Mystic Pizza (starring Julia Roberts who is always my favorite,) is about three girls who work at the Mystic Pizzeria. A true coming of age story, this movie follows sisters Kat and Daisy and their friend JoJo. When not following their own young loves, these girls work at a pizza parlor known for its secret (and delicious) sauce.
This was the perfect movie for me to watch, because I LOVE PIZZA. I love pizza so much. And I always have. When I was a little girl (probably around 3 or so,) my parents had ordered a pizza and brought it home for dinner. I sat down at the table and burst out crying. “What’s wrong Betta?” my parents asked.
“You can’t eat pizza! Pizza’s my friend!”
I didn’t cry over the chicken we ate or the cow or the pig – you know, living things. No, I cried because they were eating my dear friend Pizza. My friendliness with pizza has clearly changed, because now I’d eat it any day of the week.
I didn’t have time to make the dough for this pizza and tried the Pillsbury Pizza Crusts that were in a tube. It was surprising good and super easy! I need to get some more of those for some easy dinner nights.
Broccoli Arugula Pepperoni Pizza
pizza dough for one pizza
2 cups chopped broccoli
5 cups baby arugula
1/2 cup pesto
1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450. Stretch your pizza dough on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is baking, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes. Add the arugula to the water and let wilt. Drain. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Spread the pesto on the pizza crust.
- Spread the broccoli and arugula over the pesto.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Place the pepperoni on top of the cheese, covering the pizza.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before attempting to cut.