Erm…. Yes. This is absolutely a strange recipe for me to share. It’s an absolutely strange thing for me to have on here. But without further ado, welcome candy sushi! It is incredibly sweet and if you eat too much of it, you will get a stomachache, I promise.
Regardless, these were fun. I’d never made rice krispies treats before (yes, really!) so I got to do that. And then I got to stuff candy in them.
I guess the question is, what on earth would inspire me to make this? It isn’t like I have kids or something to entertain.
Would you believe me if I told you it was due to this scene in Failure to Catch? Hosted this month by Amy’s Cooking Adventures, this month at Food ‘n Flix we watched this chick flick. I’d seen this movie before and never considered it a foodie movie, but it definitely has many food scenes!
This movie is about Paula and Tripp. Tripp is in his 30’s and still lives with his parents. His parents hire Paula, a professional who’s one goal in life is to help grown men grow up and move out of their parents’ houses. While Tripp has his own reasons for failing to launch (ha, like what I did there?) I decided to mix together two things from the movie: the idea that moving out is immature and this sushi scene pictured above where Paula and Tripp went on one of their dates.
I wasn’t about to try my hand at sushi for real, because though I love to eat it, I don’t trust buying raw fish from anywhere. But I really wanted to do something from this scene. So I made some incredibly immature candy sushi.
2 tbsp butter
5 oz jet puffed marshmallows, plus 4 more
3 cups rice krispies
fruit by the foot
- First we are going to make a thin layer of rice krispies treats. Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the marshmallows and stir over heat until the marshmallows melt into the butter. Stir in the rice krispies. On a wax paper lined tray spread the rice krispies out thinly. Set aside until it hardens.
- Once the rice krispies have hardened, cut into a rectangle, so you have straight edges.
- At one edge, place a twizzlers and gummy worms, creating your filling.
- Roll the rice krispies just once. Cut the rice krispies roll from the rest of your sheet.
- Wrap in fruit by the foot.
- Continue with your remaining rice kripsies treat.