21 days. In 21 days, exactly 3 weeks, I will be finished with my first day of bar exam testing. That makes me sick. And after I take the horrid test, I’ll be in limbo until November.
I’ve started secret shopping and haven’t been eating in as much. I can’t really turn down free food.
This sandwich is based heavily on this recipe. Mine is a little different, in that my tomato sauce is actually tomato paste and cherry tomatoes. And I used Asian eggplant instead of globe eggplant. It was super easy, but packed with flavors.
Baked Eggplant Sandwich
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Asian eggplant
1/4 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
olive oil, as needed
2 hamburger buns
1/2 cup Arugula
2 tbsp tomato paste
10 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. First, let’s make the cheese spread. In a dry skillet, add the garlic cloves with the skins still on, over high heat. Toast them, flipping frequently for about 15 minutes. The garlic skins will become blackened. Once done, remove from the skillet. Unwrap them. You should essentially have roasted garlic.
2.Mash the garlic in a small bowl. Mix together the ricotta and Parmesan. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375. In a shallow bowl mix together the bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
4. Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
5. Take two more shallow bowls out. Fill the flour in one. In the other add the egg. Dredge each piece of eggplant in flour. Dip in the egg. Then coat with the breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes at 375. Then flip the eggplant and bake for another 15 minutes.
6. While the eggplant in cooking, heat a skillet. Add a glug of olive oil. Add the tomato paste and mix around. Add the cherry tomatoes. Mix around until hot.
7. Once the eggplant is done, put together your sandwiches. Place a handful of arugula leaves on the bottom bun. Cover with several slices of eggplant. Spoon hot tomato sauce on top of the eggplant. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Spread the ricotta cheese on the top bun. Put the top bun on top of your sandwich. Take a bite!