I haven’t participated very much in Dom’s new Simply Eggcellent. I guess I can’t even call it new, because I think he’s been running it for the last year. I think I only have one other submission. Each month he gives a theme and bloggers from all around the internet make an egg dish based on the theme. This month’s theme was all about being healthy, because so many people have resolutions to start the new year healthy.
This is healthy for two reasons: for two pieces of this, it was only 366 calories (so one piece of stuffed bread is only 183 calories) and eating breakfast is supposed to be a way to start your day on a good foot!
I’m really bad about eating breakfast. I’ve been trying all week to do it and even bought some easy meals, cereal and yogurt and granola, but I’m just so slow in the morning that it makes it difficult. But because it’s Saturday now I really have no reason.
So, I decided to start my weekend off with a delicious breakfast.
While I’m early for Breakfast Week (January 24-30), this definitely a simple breakfast you can make either for breakfast week or any morning! Use whatever veggies you have in the house, smother it with cheese, do your thing!
Brussels Sprouts and Eggs Breakfast Boats
2 sandwich rolls, split in half lengthwise
1 tbsp Brummel & Brown yogurt spread (or butter)
4 brussels sprouts, sliced into shreds
2 slices of pepper bacon
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat to 375. Scoop the bread out of the middle of the sandwich rolls large enough to place an egg in the hole. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and put your bread in the dishes.
- Smear the inside of the bread with your butter substitute or butter.
- Fill the holes with brussels sprouts.
- Push the brussels sprouts down. Put an egg in the middle of each hole.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- While your bread is baking, cook up your bacon. Cut it into small pieces.
- Sprinkle the top of each bread boat with bacon.
- makes 4 boats