I really am going to try to blog more. Life gets in the way and takes priority. But I’m trying!
Though this ice cream was not what I had planned on making flavor wise, it evolved into something perfect. I am a lover of all things chocolate. I also am a lover of all things Nutella. I could eat Nutella on everything . . . So I try to avoid buying it. And get this? I made chocolate hazelnut ice cream without Nutella. Instead it was a chocolate ice cream with roasted hazelnuts in it.
The ice cream is divine! So creamy, delicious, and rich!
Chocolate Hazelnut Ice Cream
3 cups heavy cream, divided
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
5 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
5 large egg yolks
1 cup roasted hazelnuts, crushed
1. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream with cocoa powder. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add the chocolate and stir until it melts in. Stir in the vanilla extract.
2. In a smaller mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, egg yolks, and salt.
3. In another saucepan bring the remaining heavy cream to a simmer. Once hot, remove from heat and add 1 cup of the hot heavy cream to the egg mixture, making sure to whisk continuously so the eggs don’t cook. Add the egg mixture to the heavy cream mixture over low heat. Make sure to mix continuously. Once a custard forms and the mixture sticks to the back of a wooden spoon, remove from heat.
4. Pour the custard through a fine mesh strainer into another bowl.
5. Add the chocolate mixture to the custard. Mix together. Add the hazelnuts to the mixture.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the freezer for at least an hour, until chilled.
7. Prepare the ice cream in your ice cream maker according to the instructions for your maker.
8. Put in a separate container and put in the freezer until solid.
* serves 1 quart
* I also shared this ice cream with Mix It Up Monday