This month’s movie for Food ‘n Flix couldn’t have come at a better time for me. The Lunchbox is a movie set in Mumbai, India. A lunchbox delivery service starts delivering the wrong lunchbox to the wrong man. They begin sharing notes through the lunch boxes.
I have given up meat for Lent. I’m including fish and other seafoods in Lent – the reason being to make more vegetable heavy dishes. I use Lent as my annual exercise in self-control. Given I’ve been dreaming about buckets of bacon and eating meat, clearly this is a good exercise for me.
Because so much of Indian food is vegetarian, this movie really came at a good month for me.
Ila learns that her husband has no idea that he isn’t getting the food she was making for him when he comments on her cauliflower – needless to say, she did not make him cauliflower.
Though Ila may not have made her husband cauliflower, I figured I would make my boyfriend cauliflower.
I love curries in general. For such a simple meal to make, curries are packed with flavor.
This month Culinary Adventures with Cam is hosting the film. There’s just a little bit of time left if you decide to join us. If you don’t make it this month, next month we’re watching A Walk In The Clouds!
Lentil Cauliflower Curry
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
1 chunk ginger root, minced
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp crushed red chili pepper
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups dried lentils
4 cups water
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot heat over medium-high heat, heat the coconut oil. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the ginger, turmeric, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, and crush red chili pepper. Cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- If your pan is getting dry, add some oil. Add the carrots and sweet potato to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes over low heat.
- Then add the cauliflower florets. Cover and cook for 20 more minutes over low heat.
- serves 2