Nine days. This is the absolute worst countdown ever. But it’s coming closer and closer and before you know it I won’t know what to do with myself. I’ve been so intertwined studying I haven’t had time for much else. I have done some secret shopping and I’ve done a little cooking, but getting my cooked recipes up on here just hasn’t been happening. But 9 days. And then 3 days until it’s over.
All I’ve been able to think about all day is how I want to go camping, to go canoeing, to go on a picnic, to be outside. All I can keep telling myself is, soon enough.
Also, for an update on Pantry Party. Due to my unavailability this month, this month’s Pantry Party will be extended until the end of August.
Anyway, this recipe was made because of one of my favorite blog round ups: Random Recipes at Belleau’s Kitchen. This month Dom challenged us bloggers to pick the 30th cookbook on our shelves and turn to page 30. Luckily there was a recipe on page 30 in my book.
The 30th book on my shelf was The Mixer Bible, a book I got when I first got my KitchenAid stand mixer. I haven’t used this book nearly as much as I should. I like that it teaches techniques with the mixer. Page 30 had two recipes: Hummus and Roasted Garlic Hummus. I decided to go with the Roasted Garlic variety. It was good, but I think it actually needed more garlic. I spread it on the bun of this burger and YUM!
Roasted Garlic Hummus
1 head garlic
1 tsp olive oil
2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp tahini
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1. Cut 1/2 inch off the top of the garlic head. Place it in a large square of foil and drizzle with the 1 tsp of olive oil. Enclose in foil and place in an oven preheated to 350 for 45 minutes. When the garlic is done and cool to touch squeeze the cloves into a small bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside.
2. Place the chickpeas in the mixer bowl. Attach the flat beater. Set to speed 2 and mix until the chickpeas begin to break up. Increase to speed 4 and add the garlic, the remaining olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, 1 tbsp of water, and salt. Mix for 2 minutes until slightly lumpy, but creamy, add 1 tbsp more of water if necessary.
* makes 3 cups
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup parsley, minced
1/4 cup mint, minced
1 tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cumin
juice from 1 lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
handful cherry tomatoes, sliced
6 hamburger buns, toasted
1/2 cup hummus
1. In a medium bowl combine the ground beef, spices, lemon juice, and egg. Mix together with your hands. Form the meat into 6 patties.
2. In a cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the patties and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
3. Spread the bottom layer of each hamburger bun with hummus. Place a patty on top. Divide the cherry tomatoes and arugula between the burgers.
* serves 6
* Besides Random Recipes, this recipe is being shared with Kahakai Kitchen‘s Souper Sundays & Weekend Cooking