This month over at bakebakebake the theme is seafood. I’m used to making sweet dishes for BBB entries, so at first I was really thrown off on what I should do. When I got my head into the right frame of mind I decided I would make a baked crab cake. I like crab cakes when they’re fried and crispy, so I wasn’t completely sure I would find a recipe that would capture that in a baked version. Additionally, I have never used canned crab before (only canned tuna,) but I couldn’t justify buying fresh crab.
Needless to say, they turned out great. I think the canned crab actually made these work really well, due to the texture. Additionally, despite being baked they still were really crispy. Also you will see Emeril’s Essence used in these! Basically until I use all the Essence I will be replacing it anywhere salt or Cajun seasoning is called for.
Baked Crab Cakes
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp mustard powder
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Essence
1 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
12 oz canned crab meat
1. Preheat oven the 375 and grease a baking sheet. Set aside.
2. Combine breadcrumbs, baking powder, parsley, mustard powder, pepper, and Essence. Set aside.
3. Stir together mayonnaise, vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, and eggs until smooth. Fold in crab meat, then fold in bread crumbs until well blended.
4. Shape the mixture into about 12 crab cakes and placed on prepared baking sheet. They will seem kind of wet.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the crab cakes over and bake for 15 more minutes.
* makes about 12 cakes