This is a recipe that I have handwritten in my recipe box. For being as flavorful of a dish as it is, it’s quick to make. The sausage I used probably weren’t the best choice, I had sausage with cheddar cheese in them, but I was making due with what I had. A plainer sausage is better suited for the dish – or even maybe an apple chicken sausage or something similar. The cheesey sausages weren’t bad, but it wouldn’t be a first choice.
Also, I used the Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar that I received in June’s Foodie Penpal Exchange. It was a nice touch!
I’m definitely going to continue foodie penpals to get more ingredients to line my kitchen shelves!
Hawaiian Flavored Sausage
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tomatoes, chopped
4 links sausage of your choice
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar from Trader Joe’s
1 cup apricot preserves
1 cup pineapple chunks
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet (or a wok, but I don’t have one.) Cook the onions, tomatoes, and sausage in the oil for about 10 minutes.
2. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and apricot. Mix well.
3. Mix the apricot mixture into the cooking sausage. Bring to a boil and cook until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
4. Add in pineapple chunks. Lower the heat and cook until the pineapple is cooked all the way through.
* serves 2
* shared with Mealtime Monday