This month at Belleau Kitchen’s Random Recipes we were challenged to randomly pick a cookbook we received for Christmas last year and then randomly open that cookbook to a recipe and cook it. Picking the cookbook was easy, because I only received one cookbook for Christmas last year. It was from my cousin. Knowing how little time I’ve had with school, she got me a cookbook of slow cooker recipes, Fix-it and Forget-it Big Cookbook. By far it’s not the best cookbook I’ve had the pleasure of cooking out of, but it really is a BIG cookbook of slow cooker recipes.
I opened up to pages 370 and 371. Four recipes greeted me: Spicy Italian Chicken, Chicken and Veggie Bake, Zesty Italian Chicken (which is basically the same recipe as the Spicy Italian Chicken by the way), and Creamy Italian Chicken. I closed my eyes, pointed at the page, and it landed on the Spicy Italian Chicken. Though who knows how guided my finger was, because it did look like the best recipe of the four.
I’ve been super skeptical about this recipe. It’s made with salad dressing. Salad dressing? Chicken? Slow cooker? This just didn’t sound horribly exciting.
And really, it wasn’t horribly exciting. It wasn’t bad, in fact it paired well with the side dishes. The first night I served it over rice (as suggested in the cookbook) with a zucchini bake (which I’ll share the recipe for tomorrow.) Tonight I had the rest of it with mashed potatoes with a lot of garlic and cheese. But, it wasn’t the best slow cooker recipe I’ve made.
No complaints though – this was a random recipe!
Spicy Italian Chicken
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing (I used Kraft fat free Zesty Italian)
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp cold water
1. Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine all the ingredients except the chicken, cornstarch, and water in the slow cooker.
2. Add the chicken to the slow cooker and turn to coat.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
4. After the chicken is cooked, remove and keep warm.
5. In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch and cold water. Add the cooking juices from the slow cooker gradually. Stir and bring to a boil, until thickened.
6. Pour the sauce over chicken and serve over either rice or noodles (or mashed potatoes even!)