Alphabakes letter of the month is J! I love the Alphabakes challenge hosted monthly by either Ros or Caroline. It always gets me brainstorming of ingredients or recipes I can make in a way that I usually don’t. J wasn’t the hardest letter to use. I got stuck on jalapenos – and with that, I made cornbread with jalapenos in it!
What a delicious bread. The combination of the sweet cornbread, the bacon, and the peppers was perfect. I served it alongside some fried chicken (which I might be sharing in the next post.)
I am now incredibly full. And have a lot of cornbread leftover.
Jalapeno Bacon Cornbread
8 slices bacon, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
11/4 cups skim milk
2 large eggs
1/3 cup + 3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 jalapeno, deveined and seeded, minced
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a pie tin with cooking spray.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the pieces of bacon. Once they are crispy place them aside on a plate covered in paper towels.
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients. Stir together until all the dry ingredients are mixed into the wet ingredients.
- Pour into your baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- This recipe is also shared with Beth Fish Reads: Weekend Cooking.