Like I mentioned in my last post, I am making swirl (or pinwheel) cookies for Christmas presents this year. My plan was to make four varieties. It has changed to three due to technical difficulties with my peppermint/chocolate cookies. They tasted great, but they came out ugly. The mocha swirls on the other hand, are by far the most beautiful things I have ever made. Not only do they look great, but the taste was also amazing.
These swirl cookies definitely take some patience, but they are wonderful!
Mocha Swirl Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee (mine was hazelnut flavored)
2 oz semi sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the vanilla and egg and beat until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients in and beat until you have a nonsticky dough.
3. Remove the dough from the mixer bowl and separate into two portions. Return one of the portions to the mixer and beat the coffee in with the dough. Remove from the bowl.
4. Put the other half of dough into the mixer bowl and beat with the cooled, melted chocolate.
5. Roll out each portion of dough between two sheets of wax paper, so that the dough is approximately 1/4-inch thick. Chill on a baking sheet in the refrigerator for an hour.
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and press the coffee dough on top of the chocolate dough. Roll the dough into a log, starting on the long side of the dough. If the dough starts to rip as you’re rolling, press it back together. Go slowly.
7. Cover the dough roll in wax paper and then plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
8. Preheat oven to 350. Remove the chilled dough roll from the refrigerator and slice into 1/4-inch rounds. I got about 3 dozen cookies from one cookie dough roll.
9. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 11 minutes.
* makes about 36 cookies
* shared with Mix It Up Monday